Re: Help Please : Connecting Oracle to MS IIS

From: Keith Lawrence <false_at_no.spam>
Date: 1998/02/24

Billy Verreynne wrote in message <6cr848$8v9$1_at_hermes.is.co.za>...
>Keith Lawrence wrote in message <6cbpth$5v4$1_at_news.u-net.com>...
>>NT4SV(SP3) with IIS3 and a test PO8.0.3 Oracle instance running.
 <snipped>
>>However, when actually accessing the intranet page via IIS the
>>intranet refuses to connect to the Oracle instance, ODBC error
>>80004005 'Error Attempting Logon' is reported.
>
>Well, if the ODBC connection is configured and working and it only fails via
>IIS the only thing I can think of is NT priviliges. IIS runs in a guest
>account with very limited privs. It may be that NT does not "allow" it to
>talk to Oracle. I suggest that you look at the setups for the IIS user in
>User Manager.

Billy

Thanks for the pointers, it is indeed a NT Account problem. IIS is running under the system account, Oracle under my own personal administrators account. As a *very* temporary measure I tried granting the IIS User account Administrator privileges and it worked! I now have to work out a secure group structure that will allow IIS to access Oracle without giving the world and his uncle Administrator permissions...

Many thanks

    Keith L Received on Tue Feb 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CST