Re: Help Please : Connecting Oracle to MS IIS

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/02/25

Keith Lawrence wrote in message <6cu92g$25o$1_at_news.u-net.com>...

>Thanks for the pointers, it is indeed a NT Account problem.
>IIS is running under the system account, Oracle under my own
<snipped>

Glad you found the cause of the problem. Word of warning though, do -not- run IIS in the system account. Anyone who can hack into IIS (using ISAPI dll's, CGI's etc) will have full sysadm access to that NT domain. For security reasons, the safest is to run IIS in a guest account, and to give that account the privs it requires to interact with other services like Oracle.

Always be very careful when running NT services in system accounts. NT lacks a lot of standard Unix security features and is fast becoming the target of more and more hackers.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Feb 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CST