Query deteriorates over time and finally crashed.

From: Mike Welborn <mwelborn_at_amnetwork.com>
Date: 1998/02/21

We are using a third party Forms 4.5 application which qeries an Oracle 7.3.2.3.1 database on a DELL Poweredge NT server with duplexed 4GIG drives and 128 MB RAM. After a fresh installation of Oracle and an empty database structure import, we can perform searches with great speed. As we continue to test the system with the same search string and others, the system gradually slows down and finally the search is never completed. We have to stop the Oracle process or reboot to get the server to stop thrashing the hard drives. We also notine that when we run the Oracle Performance Monitor at the same time, the %Cache Buffer Hit "pie chart" turns completely red during the time that the search goes off into the sunset. When we reboot the system, the same search will immediately send the server off again and the only way to get the response time back is to reinstall Oracle and reimport an empty database.

The NT performance monitor and resource guide utilities indicate that we are not taxing the hardware at all. The disk throughput falls off and the I/O even flattens out like the application is searching for an imaginary string.

Any ideas on how to proceed???

Are there any documented suggestion on settig up NT register settings to help Orale run in an optimum environment?

Thanks..............Mike W. Received on Sat Feb 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CST