Re: Database market is saturated fully, there is no more room!!

From: Mats Wichmann <xyzmats_at_laplaza.org>
Date: 1998/02/18

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 22:55:05 +0000, Michael Segel <mikey_at_segel.NO.SPAM.KINGOFMYDOMAIN.SPAM.NO.com> wrote:

>There is a thing called TCO (Total Cost of Ownership).
>This is merely the entire cost of developing and maintaining
>an IS/IT infrastrucute. (The cost of Hardware/Software/Maintenance/
>Applications/Support Staff/ yadda yadda yadda.) [You get the idea.]
>
>With TCO in mind, the lower the cost the better.
>Since Linux is relatively low in cost, or free if you want to
>download it, TCO is automatically less for Linux than for SCO
>or Solaris. (Even NT)

With many TCO estimates for a system being in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, the effect of the acquisition cost of the O.S. ($50 to $2000, let's say -- even a "free" download costs something) is of minimal impact. Once you start looking at the availability of applications and the time to deploy them I'm not sure the equation favors Linux any longer.

Mats Wichmann
To reply remove the "xyz" from the address xyzmats_at_laplaza.org Received on Wed Feb 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST