Re: Database market is saturated fully, there is no more room!!

From: Michael Segel <mikey_at_segel.NO.SPAM.KINGOFMYDOMAIN.SPAM.NO.com>
Date: 1998/02/17

William Backs wrote:

> Why is it that the only way these Linux people can push their product is through
> complete fabrication and total falsehood? Can't the product stand up to real
> analysis and facts? If you have to lie to make your point, then the point isn't
> worth making.

Since I haven't seen the original post, Usenet is sometimes slow, I cannot comment. However, don't slam Linux.

[SNIP] From the rest of your post, it looks like the original author is promoting Linux as a viable Intel based OS.

While you may disagree with this view, there is merit to Linux.

There is a thing called TCO (Total Cost of Ownership). This is merely the entire cost of developing and maintaining an IS/IT infrastrucute. (The cost of Hardware/Software/Maintenance/ Applications/Support Staff/ yadda yadda yadda.) [You get the idea.]

With TCO in mind, the lower the cost the better. Since Linux is relatively low in cost, or free if you want to download it, TCO is automatically less for Linux than for SCO or Solaris. (Even NT)

Estimates of the Linux community range around 6 Million or more. According to the Linux Counter, 34% of the registered Linux community uses Linux for work. Most of these registrars are in the US. (This has been confirmed through an independant survey)

Now the number one reason for Linux, is cost. The second reason for Linux is performance. (Also confirmed by said survey)

Since I can't comment on the original poster's view on RDBMS, from what you posted, he is somewhat correct.

Analysts, have indicated that the market for RDBMS have reached the saturation point. The big three, need to diversify or search for untapped markets. Linux happens to be one of them. An estimated 630,000 potential licenses exist within the current Linux market place, today. With the success of Titanic, and other major organizations using Linux within their infrastructure, expect the market share to rise. Remember that in the late nineties, companies need to cut costs in order to survive. (Just ask Netscape or Informix. :-) It is easier to cut costs in hardware and software than it is to cut costs in staffing.

So it would be nice if the big three were to look at the Linux marketplace. It would shock the hell out of them.

-Mike Segel

BTW, I don't think you should make fun of the original poster's grammer. You seem to confuse CISC and RISC with Operating Systems.

--
#include <std_disclaimer.h>		/* Mike Segel (MS385) */
#include <No_Spam.h>

We encourage all ISPs and domain holders to do the same.