Re: HELP Tuning SQL statements

From: Phil Cook <pncook_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/02/14

There have been problems using the cost-based optimizer ( I'm assuming that you are using cost-based since you mentioned hints). The optimizer can choose different access paths depending on if you are using literals or bind variables. I'm assuming that you have analyzed your tables.

I have been successful using a couple of methods, once we upgraded from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3 and overcame a bug with the optimizer. Other times, we have switched to rule-based and the behavior was more predictable.

Phil Cook
Certified Oracle DBA Received on Sat Feb 14 1998 - 00:00:00 CST