HELP Tuning SQL statements

From: <huynuye_at_statcan.ca>
Date: 1998/02/13

When I use the EXPLAIN PLAN to view the execution plan for my statement. The optimizer ignores my index for:

  1. Select * from employees where employee_id = uid; uid is a variable from my PL/SQL procedure. The Explain show a full table access even when I use Hints. However,
  2. Select * from employees where employee_id = '12345'; will access the table by rowid/ unique index scan on employee_id.

I'm trying to tune an Oracle Web application, and I'm not sure how to use bind variable (eg. :uid). Is there a way to use index for my first statement.

Thanx