Re: ORA-07337: smsmat: shmat error, unable to attach sga.

From: Eric Evans <etevans_at_iag.net>
Date: 1998/02/10

On Mon, 09 Feb 1998 19:48:28 GMT, mike_at_pps.ca (mike_at_pps.ca) wrote:

>Our Oracle Enterprise Server 7.3.2 suddenly stop working and we are unable to
>restart the database. The following error message is recieved:
>
>ORA-07337: smsmat: shmat error, unable to attach sga.
>DEC OSF/1 (AXP) Error: 12: Not enough space
>Additional information: 2
>

>Does anyone have a solution to our problem.The database runs on a Dec Alpha
>1000 running DU 3.2c
>
>Thanks
>
>Please send any solutions to mike_at_pps.ca

Sounds like you could have either modified the initSID.ora file and to increase the size of your SGA and not increased the SHMMAX parameter or the instance came down and the shared memory segment is still hanging around. In case (1) , either return the initSID.ora parms back to the way they were or increase SHMMAX and reboot the server. In case (2) run the command
ipcs -b
-- Check to see if there are segments owned by the oracle user. If there are and there is no other instances running on your machine then to remove them type in the command
ipcrm -m <the shared memory id #>
for each segment (I think there is 4 segments for every instance in Digital).

Hope this helps,
Eric Received on Tue Feb 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST