Setting up Oracle8

From: A J M Knight <ccsajmk_at_bath.ac.uk>
Date: 1998/02/05

I am presently involved in setting up an Oracle 8 database on a SUN E3000 and would like to hear from people who have some experience of doing the same. The SUN has four internal disks (4.2 GB each) and a mirrored array of 18 4.2 GB disks. The machine has four processors and 2 GB of RAM.

We plan to set up three databases for various projects and what I do not know is the best way to set Oracle up with this type of hardware. Any experience I have of Oracle has been on much smaller machines. How do I set Oracle up to get the maximum performance out of the hardware. We do a lot of large sorts (1 GB files) and need to get the system geared towards handling this type of job.

Reading through the Oracle documentation has been some help but the information is so widely spread that getting an overview is difficult. Putting the tablespaces on separate disk spindles seems to be one way of mimising some of the bottlenecks. Does spreading a tablespace across a number of disks further improve things?

Any tips or pointers as to where we should be looking would be appreciated.

Adam Knight
University of Bath
Ccsajmk_at_bath.ac.uk Received on Thu Feb 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST