Using ADO to access a national character set=Unicode Oracle 8 database

From: Chris Richardson <cer_at_sirius.com>
Date: 1998/02/03

Hi,

I am trying to use ADO 1.5 from Visual Basic 5 to access an Oracle 8 database which uses UTF8 as the national character set and WE8ISO8859P1 (the default) as the regular database character set.

I am able to execute an SQL select statement and obtain the results but I have not been able to invoke a stored procedure that has NVARCHAR2 parameters.

If I use refresh to build the parameter collection it says that the type of NVARCHAR2 parameters is adBinary.
If I try and execute a stored procedure I get an error about using the wrong type for the current operation.

If I specify a type of adVarChar for all NVARCHAR2 parameters I get this error:

PLS-00561 character set mismatch
ORA-06550 If I specify adVarWChar then I get an error about an unrecognized type name.

If I specify adWChar I get the same error as in the adBinary case.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully?

Chris Received on Tue Feb 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CST