Re: RAID 5 and Oracle Part II

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1998/01/29

Todd A. Bellaver wrote:

> Thank you to everyone who has responded to this. I think I should clarify a
> couple of things first.
>
> First, this is a VLDB that is 500 Gbs and is expected to reach a Terabyte+
> by the end of the year.
> Second, unfortunately, we are using software RAID 5 not hardware RAID 5.
>
> I would like to hear about your expereinces with RAID 5 under these kind of
> conditions. And how much of a hit on performance did you take?
>
> Thanks again

We tried some experiments on a smaller database (50G) using RAID-5 at the software layer and it was a nightmare...We have since gone RAID 0+1 and life is rosy...

Software RAID-5 was approx 4-7 times slower than even plain disks.

Gear:

Sun Enterprise 6000, 12cpu
Veritas Volumne Manager

Cheers
Connor

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth, Western Australia
"These views mine not BHP..etc etc"

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."