Re: Changing MAX EXTENTS on an object?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/28

In article <34CC5705.43E_at_p3.net>, Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net> wrote:
>Sean,
>
>I just checked the DBA Handbook and couldn't find an easy answer.

You should have checked the SQL reference under alter table <table> STORAGE <clause>;

>It looks like you will have to go the the export/import route.
>Do an export with ROWS = N to create the DDL needed to rebuild
>the tables you plan on exporting. Then run the export with
>ROWS = Y to actually create the .dmp file. Check out the DDL
>to see if MAXEXTENTS are specified. If so and you are in luck
>since you can do global edit.
>
>If not drop the tables. Change the default storage clause
>MAXEXTENTS for the tablespace, run the DDL to recreate the tables,
>and then import the .dmp file.
>

>Regards
>
>Jerry
>
>Sean Kubovcik wrote:
>>
>> I have several (200) tables and indexes that have their MAX EXTENTS =
>> 10. I want to change all of these to 249. What would be the most
>> efficient way to do this? Any input would be appreciated.

Since I'm usually on unix, for this type of thing I will usually use the spool and select statements to create a file with all the tablenames in it, then use unix tools to translate to a sql command file.

Note there may be a limit to extents depending on your database blocksize and OS.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com