Re: Relationals vs. Objects Databases I

From: Richard Ronteltap <rontltap_at_euronet.nl>
Date: 1998/01/28

>>An ODBMS integrates seamlessly with the OO programming language
>>used. The 'database' part is nearly invisible. You only have to learn 1
>>OO language and get structuring of data and behaviour encapsulation
>>for 'free'.
>
>I'll take your word for it. From my brief experience with MFC, I'd say
>a problem with OO programming is that you have to familiarise yourself
>with the behaviour of hundreds of objects, rather than few basic
>principles.

MFC is a framework (and a bad one at that). It has lots more functionality than just database functionality. And the database functionality provided is not OO.

When using ObjectStore (am not a fan, BTW), I find that the only 'database' functionality needed is:
- Creating objects in database in stead of memory   E.g.: New( Class, Database ) in stead of New( Class ) - Beginning/ending transactions
- Running indexed queries using same object method call syntax as host language
  E.g. "Objects | Class->Method1->Method2->Attribute = Value"

How do you do it in COBOL+SQL?

Richard Received on Wed Jan 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CST