Re: INIT.ORA Parameters

From: Steve Dodsworth <sdodsworth_at_mother.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/16

azaman <azaman_at_ibm.net> wrote in article <34BF8C9D.6242_at_ibm.net>...
> Hi Everyone
>
> Please help me understand the following two init.ora parameters:
>
> o sql_trace

....is used to trace all of the instance accesses, producing a large amount of trace files

> o timed_statistics

....is used to provide extra timing information for tracing

> Questions:
>
> 1. Can I set these parameters to TRUE at session level ?

sql_trace
- alter session set sql_trace true;
timed_stats
- I don't think you can

> 2. If timed_statistics is set to TRUE and sql_trace set to
> FALSE at instance level , is the system incurring any
> overheads because of timed_statistics being set to TRUE ?

... definitely yes

> 3. Is this a sensible plan :
> Have timed_statistics set to TRUE and sql_trace set
> to FLASE at instance level.
>
> Only set sql_trace to TRUE at session level if
> required.

.. this is the method that is normally used, but don't set timed stats on for production systems.

> I will really appreciate an -email with any information.

no problem

Steve