Re: System Tablespace

From: TurkBear <jvgreco_at_pop.primenet.com>
Date: 1998/01/15

"S Metro" <smetro_at_nospam.world.std.com> wrote:

>An application was just installed on our database that requires all users to
>have the SYSTEM tablespace as their default and temporary tablespaces.
>Apparently, their application cannot point users to other tablespaces.
>
>I've heard this might be bad, but wanted to know why.
>
>Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott
>
>(take out nospam if replying via email)

It is bad practice to have anything but Oracle-owned ( thst is sys and system schemas) in the system tablespace because any damage done to it by other users creating,deleting,etc will make the entire database unavailable and maybe not easily recoverable --- If the application is well behaved it probably won't happen, but I would hesitate to use an app that requires that users have system as their default tablespace -

John Greco
Oracle DBA
( 7.3.2.1.1, Netware 4.11) Received on Thu Jan 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CST