Re: Moving Oracle database from one server to another ...

From: Doug Cha <dcha_at_shell2.ba.best.com>
Date: 1997/12/30

This made me wonder about moving a database from NT to UNIX or vice-versa.. I suppose you could mount the database and perform alter database rename datafiles once you've edited the locations of your control files and log files... I suspect I'm missing something though.

Any thoughts?

Clay Davidson <clay_at_his.com> wrote:
: Create new instance on second box.
: Make sure you have same drive letters and enough disk space for your
: datafiles.

: Now you can EITHER use the import facility OR simply copy all the
: datafiles, controll files. redo logs.... into the SAME directory names
: with the SAME drive letters. This works fine.

: Oracle doesnt know the server it is running on. It is just a piece of
: software looking for some files to open. If you put the files where it
: expects them, then everything is hunkydory. ( What would you do if
: your server crashed and you had to restore? pretty much the same
: thing)

: You could also put them the files in other drive/directory names but
: then you would have to rename the files so Oracle could find them when
: it opened. This in more trouble but certainly doable.

: Hope this helps.

: On Thu, 18 Dec 1997 16:38:24 -0800, Vjacheslav Saiko
: <slavas_at_genesyslab.com> wrote:

: > Hi All !
: >
: > Is it possible to move existing oracle database from one server to
: >another ?
: > I have development and production servers (some platform - NT) and
: >need to move current database
: > from development to production. I've tried to backup database on
: >first server
: > and restore on second - didn't work ; i've tried to copy all
: >database files -
: > didn't vork; i've tried to create new instance on second server with
: >all parameters
: > and files like in source instance and after that replace all files
: >from source database -
: > didn't work.
: > The only way i can do this - export database on first server and
: >
: > import on second .
: > May be there is another way ?
: >