Re: Moving Oracle database from one server to another ...

From: TurkBear <jvgreco_at_pop.primenet.com>
Date: 1997/12/30

While the below may work on some systems, moving the 'program' files between operating systems would not work--- Oracle for Netware is unlikely to run on UNIX and Oracle for NT surely will not run in Netware - The datafiles 'may' be usable in other systems ( altho I suspect that the operating system controls the structure of the data and is therefore not interchangeable ) Oracle does care what 'kind' of server it's running on and uses different control structures for different operating systems.

Moving between servers of the same type is pretty simple, but for moving to a different operating system, I would only use Export/Import.

John Greco
Oracle DBA ( Netware 4.11, RDBMS 7.3.2 ) If E-Mail send to john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us