Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1997/12/19

["S V" <sv1_at_mindspring.com>]

| And in any case we discuss the native Oracle port, not the one
| which runs under SCO libraries.

the iBCS2 interface merely remaps system calls and provides wrappers to some system calls in order to provide the semantics of the OS it is supposed to mimic.

the point is: Oracle can run under Linux so there is no technical reason it shouldn't be ported. also I don't think that it would be that much of a job either given that Oracle is written to be portable and it has been ported to stranger OSes than Linux.

| Oracle needs character devices for disk partitions.

you don't really need raw devices; it's a feature you can live without in most cases. if you need them you simply run Oracle on some other platform. usually the OS will have the best idea about how the I/O should be handled in order to get the best performance -- in fact I have heard that some sites actually use Network Appliances servers (instead of local file systems) in order to speed up their databases.

still, a native port to Linux would be a Good Thing in any case, since that would guarantee the availability of client software. it is often desirable to use an Oracle database from applications (like web-servers) running on a Linux machine. today you can do that, but not in any particularly elegant way.

anyhow, you don't seem to know much about Linux (or databases for that matter) so I don't understand why you feel that you have to contribute to the discussion. most of your assumptions are misinformed, contradictory and sometimes completely irrelevant to the issue. perhaps it would be better if you just admitted you don't really know what you're talking about or just shut up.

-Bjørn

--
 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/>  | as damage and routes around it."