Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_NOSPAMspacetec.no>
Date: 1997/12/22

In article <m267ol32oz.fsf_at_lucifer.guardian.no>,

        Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no> writes:
>["S V" <sv1_at_mindspring.com>]
>|
>| And in any case we discuss the native Oracle port, not the one
>| which runs under SCO libraries.
>
>the iBCS2 interface merely remaps system calls and provides wrappers
>to some system calls in order to provide the semantics of the OS it is
>supposed to mimic.
>
>the point is: Oracle can run under Linux so there is no technical
>reason it shouldn't be ported. also I don't think that it would be
>that much of a job either given that Oracle is written to be portable
>and it has been ported to stranger OSes than Linux.

According to people that have been in contact with Oracle they *do* run Oracle natively on Linux, internally in their own porting department. The reason they don't sell a native Linux version is then obviously not for technical reasons, but purely for marketing reasons. Centralised commercial Linux support and all that. We all know the real truth about that of course, in any case it's obviously up to Oracle what they want to do with their product.
Those who want it could try to pool up and come up with a *big* order, I've seen people trying to organise something like that.

And that guy "S V" is either a troller or just stupid.

Tor Received on Mon Dec 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CST