Striped Filesystems or Individual Disks???

From: Michael Thompson <michael_at_shell15.ba.best.com>
Date: 1997/12/15

Hello,

I'm tasked with creating a new. fault-tolerant server for my employer, and have the option to go with a large array of striped disks for the database files, or to go with individual disks. (7 * 4gb each).

There's also the possibility to set up Parallel server, and have the whole shooting match replicated to a 2nd identical system.

I'm wondering, if I can get RAID5 or Parallel server together, such that I'm insulated from individual disk failures, would it be to my benefit to lump the entire database into one big striped filesystem? I know you normally want to keep your data and indexes separate (among other things), but with the added performance of striping across multiple disks (and perhaps even acress SCSI controllers), does it make sense to do this?

I'm thinking that in general, it would be easier to maintain the instance in one large filesystem, and that the added performance of striping/RAID might offset the benefits of keeping your various tablespaces on separate disks.

Any ideas/recommendations/similar setups out there?

Thanks!
Mike Received on Mon Dec 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CST