Re: Striped Filesystems or Individual Disks???

From: Sheilah Scheurich <scheuric_at_wantnospamsprynetatall.com>
Date: 1997/12/18

My belief is that as a DBA, I can never replicate the type of striping that the algorithm the hardware striping has. I would highly recommend utilizing a hardware stripe vs a hand stripe. However, if you can split those stripe sets up into to pieces, place each one on it's own conroller, you will be better off that putting the entire thing on one big system. The reasoning here is that the controllers, while fail over, will work better separately than together when accessing index and data files, particularly with multiple users. You can set the controllers up to "see" each other and failover if necessary, but keep them separate. The controllers can be the biggest bottleneck next to the disks themselves.

-Sheilah Scheurich
DBA
to respond via email remove "want no spam at all" from my address