Re: Question before Migrating to Oracle 8

From: Milan Vora <voram_at_mail.dec.com>
Date: 1997/12/15

Rob Smith wrote:

> I am about to migrate our 7.3.2 server to Oracle 8. What do I need to
> be careful of before trying to migrate? Have any of you experienced
> problems in doing this?

Installation of Oracle 8 and Migration of Databases from Oracle 7 to Oracle 8

There are many ways to do this :

  1. Install Oracle 8 and then do the migration (i used this method)
  2. Migrate Database and then install Oracle 8

It is highly recommended to use the second option as it gives less work and this way the probabality of doing an error is smaller.It is also recomended by the Oracle Expert.

Here are the different steps :

Step 1 :

Shutdown all databases

svrmgrl
connect internal
shutdown normal SID

Step 2 : Check that Oracle has no running ipc processes and remove any running processes

ipcs -m
ipcrm -m id

This step is highly important. You will not be able to migrate if such ipc's are running.
Such ipc's run when Oracle was not shutdown by the usual method but by killing all oracle processes

Step 3 :

check that ORACLE_HOME,ORACLE_SID,PATH and ORA_NLS33 variables are set and point to the right place.

Step 4 :

Run the Oracle installation Utility and install the Migration Utility in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin of the
Oracle 7 directory.Check that the correct files have been installed in the right directories

Step 5 :

Ensure that you have enough SYSTEM tablespace by

mig CFILE='"control_file"' SPOOL='"filename"' CHECK_ONLY=TRUE

Step 6 :

Migrate all databases

mig (and change sid for each database )
Check that a convSID.dbf file is created for each database.

Step 7 : Install Oracle 8

Set up environment variables
LD_LIBRARY_PATH,ORACLE_HOME,ORACLE_BASE,ORACLE_SID,PATH,ORA_NLS33 Install Oracle 8 (Net8,TCP IP Protocol Adapter,Oracle Server RDBMS,PL/SQL,SQLPlus)

Step 9 : Complete migration

set the ORACLE_SID to the wanted SID
copy the convSID.dbf initSID.ora and configSID.ora files in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory
edit the initSID.ora : remove the check_process

                         change reference of ifile to the configSID in
the curent directory
edit the configSID.ora : remove control_file line from the configSID.ora connect as internal and execute :
startup nomount
alter database convert
ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS
@../rdbms/admin/cat8000.sql

Step 10 :

Sqlplus won't work unless some links of some librarires in /usr/shlib point to the the new directory
copy the tnsname.ora in the new $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin of Oracle 8 to get the tns to work properly.
else u will probably have to configure this with net8.

Step 11 :

If things still don't work properly contact the Oracle Support. Best of Luck

Milan Vora Received on Mon Dec 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CST