Re: Undocumented feature ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT_SCHEMA = xxx

From: Paul Brewer <paulb_at_pbrewer.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/14

In article <348FF317.C44_at_nospam.ldg.bruyeres.cea.fr>, Jerome Grandjanny <grandjanny_at_nospam.ldg.bruyeres.cea.fr> writes
>Hello folks,
>
>I discovered that the imp utility uses an undocumented feature of
>Oracle. The syntax is :
>
> ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT_SCHEMA = xxx ;
>
>I tested this statement under SQL*Plus and it works fine : it is then
>possible to type :
>
> SELECT * FROM tbl ;
>
>instead of :
>
> SELECT * FROM xxx.tbl ;
>
>This could be very usefull in some of our applications because we
>use the same application against multiple schemas.
>
>What I want to know is :
>
> - Did anyone use this statement ?
> - Does anyone knows if it is supported ?
> - Does anyone knows if it will exist in future releases ?
> - Is it wise to rely on this feature ?
>
>Any advice greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.
>Jerome.

>Anti spam clause :
>
> For spammers :
>
> Using my e-mail address for advertising can be subject to a
> $5000 +tax invoice.
>
> For gentlemen :
>
> Please remove nospam. from my address before replying me.

We are using it from Forms 4.5 - if it is discontinued our whole application will have to be rewritten.
Up to now, no problems at all.
Reason: we have 10 operating companies, each with identical schemas. Users have access to one ore more companies and we wish to run the same Forms45 program it whatever schema they are currently 'in'. Works fine.
HTH
Paaul Brewer Received on Sun Dec 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CST