Re: Informix coming to Linux, Dump Oracle NOW!

From: Shannon Hendrix <shendrix_at_gypsy.atlantic.infi.net>
Date: 1997/12/08

In article <m267p7zepn.fsf_at_lucifer.guardian.no>, Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no> wrote:
>[dwgannon_at_aol.com (Dwgannon)]
>|
>| Let me see the informix stock keeps dropping. Who will buy them.
>| What support will you have. No Thanks. Oracle 8 and the Web server
>| 2.1 is for me.
>
>uh, support? I must be missing something here. the last time I

Same here. $40K a year for support contract and they have trouble answering some of the simplest questions.

In the end, we've either gotten the ``Give us $$$ for a new version'' answer or their staff was clueless. We've had to code workarounds and fix everything ourselves for the most part.

Gee, how many YEARS have the various chained-row problems existed in Oracle, and why doesn't their tech support know how to get around it?

Oracle listeners sometimes hang on DEC systems. Three tech calls and Oracle says either it cannot be happening or it isn't an Oracle bug. And yet I hear a month later on Usenet that a few people have had the problem and that there are ORACLE PATCH NUMBERS that fix an ORACLE BUG which causes the problem. I haven't tried them (I'm not the dba here) but why didn't Oracle give us the patch when we had the problem and made that multi-thousand dollar phone call?

We've also noticed that the reps tend to be very defensive if you get upset with them. We realize software is complex, etc., but you get frustrated when a million dollars of software just won't work.

Sadly, support is pretty bad from most companies, but Oracle seems to be one of the worst.

>is it acceptable that you, after paying lots and lots of money should
>be stuck with a product that needs attention from its maker every now
>and then?

Favorite tech support quote after we said Oracle has not been writing to its log files in awhile: ``Oh my goodness! Is Oracle running?'' This was after extensive interaction with the running server, etc.

--
shendrix_at_infi.net
"The determined programmer can write a FORTRAN program in any