Re: Informix coming to Linux, Dump Oracle NOW!

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1997/12/04

["Chris Fenstermaker" <fensterm_at_comp-lett.com>]

| They even want you to pay for the support they put on the web.
| I don't know what Informix's policy is on that subject but I don't see
| why I should pay for support the maker of the software owes me
| already. Handling support over the web just can't cost as much
| as a human operated helpline.

not only that, but I suspect that this sort of asynchronous mode of support would enable any company providing support for a product to:

  1. give the support-person more piece and quiet to do some research on the problem without the pressure of an impatient user on the other end of the line.
  2. problems can be routed to the most adequate support-person who has dealt with the problem or a similar problem before a lot better than if the customer is on the phone, due to the asynchronous nature of the work.
  3. everything gets written down in the first place, so they can build a _better_ problem solving database.

-Bjørn

--
 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/>  | as damage and routes around it."