Re: creating tablespaces in parallel

From: John Roberts <jrobert1_at_netcomuk.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/06

Madhusudhan Nunna <nunna_at_apple.vin.bellcore.com> wrote in article <667fbp$69j_at_athos.cc.bellcore.com>...
> Hello Oracle folks,
> Did anyone face the problem of creating a 500GB database
> in less than a day? Well I did and tried the obvious option of creating
> tablespaces in parallel, by running multiple server manager sessions.
> I'am trying this with oracle 7.3.2.3 on a HP-UX11 machine with 16 CPUs.
> But I'am not seeing the expected improvement in tablespace creation
 timings.
> It is still taking as much time as it would take if they were to be
 created
> sequentially.
>
> Can anyone throw some light on this issue? I'am sure many
> others must have faced a similar scenario.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Madhu Nunna
> Bell Communications Research.

I managed to create a 450 Gb database in about 3 hours on an IBM SP2. However, I was using parallel server with 20 instances, so I could use 20 separate server manager sessions on 20 separate instances. Also, each tablespace is made up of between 5 and 20 data files, so my commands were

  1. create tablespace - to create the tablespace with 1 file
  2. alter tablespace * 5 - 20 - to add the additional files

I don't know whether you're using parallel server, or how many files are in each tablespace, but I hope my experience is useful.

NB - on the assumption that you are using parallel server, you might want to re-think the plan to create tablespaces in parallel. The reason is that a parallel creation makes a real mess of the file-id s i.e. thay are pretty much random. When you come to assigning gc files to locks, it pays to have the data file id s in some kind of structure.

Hope this helps

John