Re: NT vs. Unix????

From: St Erroneous <Xishamael_at_goliath.mersinet.co.ukX>
Date: 1997/12/03

Harry Boswell <hboswell_at_lance.netdoor.com> seems to have written:

[snip]

>I'm now looking at a new Oracle implementation, supporting up to
>possibly 250 or so users, that may be on Unix or NT. Are there any red
>flags about NT?

I've been told that the way Oracle have stored server version numbers in the NT registry limits the valid configurations you can have. I believe that only the first two digits are plugged into the registry, so that the normal tactic of having two separate installations of the same server version on a production machine - a "live" and a "test" core - and testing patches and upgrades on the "test" core before rolling the changes onto the "live" version becomes difficult. You can only have one 7.3 installation at any one time, and so on.

The solution is simple: have two separate, identical machines, and test on one of them. This may not be practical in some circumstances.

-michael

--
St michael (mainly) Erroneous   http://goliath.mersinet.co.uk/~ishamael/
"Oh Oracle, who art rdbms, hallowed be thy OCI. Thy market domination