Placing database files - a beginner question

From: Chin Fang <fangchin_at_leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 1997/11/24

I have been assigned to do Oracle database admin lately in my group. The product is Oracle Workgroup 7.3.2.2. The installation went on fine, so was the usability of the starter database, which carries the default WG73 SID.

We needed another database; following the instructions on p 2-12 of the Oracle Workgroup Server Release 7.3 Installation Guide for SPARC Solaris 2.4/2.5, I installed the 2nd starter database with a different SID, LN73.

However, now the /opt/oracle/dbs looks really messy:

cntrlLN73.dbf      log2WG73.dbf*      sgadefLN73.dbf     toolLN73.dbf*
cntrlWG73.dbf      log2c              sgadefWG73.dbf     toolWG73.dbf*
init.ora           log3LN73.dbf*      sql.bsq            ud1.dbf
initLN73.ora*      log3WG73.dbf*      systLN73.dbf*      ud1.dbs
initWG73.ora*      orapwLN73          systWG73.dbf*      ud2.dbf
log1LN73.dbf*      orapwWG73          tempLN73.dbf*      usrLN73.dbf*
log1WG73.dbf*      rbs2.dbf           tempWG73.dbf*      usrWG73.dbf*
log1c              rbsLN73.dbf*       tempdataLN73.dbf*  usrdataLN73.dbf*
log2LN73.dbf*      rbsWG73.dbf*       tempdataWG73.dbf*  usrdataWG73.dbf*

I would much prefer to put all *WG73* in a subdirectory, say WG73, and all *LN73* in another subdirectory, say LN73. However, checking all documentations that I have access to (including these on line HTML versions), I have not yet been able to find any descriptions about such procedures.

I would appreciate it very much for any hints/tips/pointers. I am quite new to Oracle DBA.

Regards,

Chin Fang
fangchin_at_leland.stanford.edu Received on Mon Nov 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST