Re: Placing database files - a beginner question

From: Julio <julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es>
Date: 1997/11/26

Chin Fang wrote:
> =

> I have been assigned to do Oracle database admin lately in my group.
> The product is Oracle Workgroup 7.3.2.2. The installation went on
> fine, so was the usability of the starter database, which carries the
> default WG73 SID.
> =

> We needed another database; following the instructions on p 2-12
> of the Oracle Workgroup Server Release 7.3 Installation Guide for
> SPARC Solaris 2.4/2.5, I installed the 2nd starter database with
> a different SID, LN73.
> =

> However, now the /opt/oracle/dbs looks really messy:
> =

> cntrlLN73.dbf log2WG73.dbf* sgadefLN73.dbf toolLN73.dbf*
> cntrlWG73.dbf log2c sgadefWG73.dbf toolWG73.dbf*
> init.ora log3LN73.dbf* sql.bsq ud1.dbf
> initLN73.ora* log3WG73.dbf* systLN73.dbf* ud1.dbs
> initWG73.ora* orapwLN73 systWG73.dbf* ud2.dbf
> log1LN73.dbf* orapwWG73 tempLN73.dbf* usrLN73.dbf*
> log1WG73.dbf* rbs2.dbf tempWG73.dbf* usrWG73.dbf*
> log1c rbsLN73.dbf* tempdataLN73.dbf* usrdataLN73.db=
 f*
> log2LN73.dbf* rbsWG73.dbf* tempdataWG73.dbf* usrdataWG73.db=
 f*
> =

> I would much prefer to put all *WG73* in a subdirectory, say WG73, and
> all *LN73* in another subdirectory, say LN73. However, checking all
> documentations that I have access to (including these on line HTML
> versions), I have not yet been able to find any descriptions about
> such procedures.

After creating the directories, you should a COPY of every datafile to the new location. Then:
If you must move the system tablespace's datafiles then you must shutdown database and start it in no mount mode. If they are of another tablespace then you must put it offline (alter tablespace <tablespace_name> offline;).
Then, for each datafile you must do:
alter tablespace <tablespace_name>
rename datafile '<old_location>/<datafile_name>' to '<new_location>/<datafile_name';
Afer renaming all datafiles of the tablespace, put it online and erase all datafiles.
In case of system tablespace, just open it.  =

Anyway I suggest for you to read anything about OFA arquithecture.

> I would appreciate it very much for any hints/tips/pointers. I am
> quite new to Oracle DBA.
> =

> Regards,
> =

> Chin Fang
> fangchin_at_leland.stanford.edu

Regards
-- =

Julio Negueruela
Telf: 941-299177 Fax: 941- 299244
Servicio Inform=E1tico
Universidad de La Rioja - Spain
mailto:julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es Received on Wed Nov 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CST