Re: Recover db with missing redo logs....

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/11/24

Ken-ming Wang <kenming_at_email.gcn.net.tw> wrote in article <347b3546.25109735_at_news.seed.net.tw>...

> >Is recovering from on-line backup datafiles the only way??
> >(BTW, will that be ALL datafiles copies??) Since
> >ours is a warehouse database (over 150 Gigs), that's why
> >we don't care about the transactions in the missing
> >redo log files. Is there a way to just tell the database to
> >"ignore" the missing redo log file??
> >

> You must enable the "ARCHIVE LOG" mode for backup
> datafiles and redo log files.

Sorry, I just caught the tail-end of this thread. You can recover a database without redo logs, depending on what the damage is. If your system tablespace is still intact and you have a couple of stuffed up datafiles, you can drop those. Of course you will have to drop the tablespace(s) to which these datafiles belong to after the database is opened. Do a startup mount and then alter database drop datafile. Then try an alter database open.

If the control file is stuffed, you can re-create it if you know which datafiles made up the database.

There are also ways to force an Oracle database open, even if the SCN's differs in the datafiles, with undocumented parameters. In this case I suggest logging a priority 1 call (operational system down) with your local Oracle Support Centre.

Oh yes, remember to always try these recovery tecniques first with a little test database. Sometime you have only one shot at recovering a database...

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Nov 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST