Re: Exporting large (>8 gig) database in UNIX?

From: Gary Melhaff <melhafg_at_wdni.com>
Date: 1997/11/04

You do the unix pipe using mknod utility.

Example...
mknod /tmp/exp_pipe p
compress < /tmp/exp_pipe > prod_exp.dmp.Z exp userid/password file=/tmp/exp_pipe ....other parms here or in parfile

Remember - you can't go over 2 gig! If over 2 gig, can just do exp to /dev/rmt etc
but you must use the volsize parameter of exp to tell it the size of tape. Also,
when I tried to span tapes, the exp utility only waits around 5 minutes and a couple retries when the tape is full - it then pukes the exp job!

Also, you can't exp compress to tape - nice idea though.

Bottom line, if you have export that compressed is larger than 2 gig and exp larger than tape size, you're screwed.

--
Gary Melhaff
Senior Database Analyst