Re: Exporting large (>8 gig) database in UNIX?

From: Markus Albert <Markus.Albert_at_cern.ch>
Date: 1997/11/03

--------------30C8E0414B29489FC5DD422B

Anton Dischner wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> i do a 10GB database backup using the 'export to pipe and compress on the fly'
> method using gzip. See FAQ or mail me if you need syntax.
> Your resulting file must be < 2GB.
>
> Onother way is to backup to tape using something like /dev/rmt0 (AIX) as
> file-name. EXP asks for tape-capacity and will prompt for new tape.

Hi Anton,

I've read your posting and would like to try it out, cause I'm in a similar situation.
Could you please explain what you mean by 'export to pipe and compress on the fly' ?

Thanks in advance, Ciao Markus.

--------------30C8E0414B29489FC5DD422B

<HTML>

Anton Dischner wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi Simon,

<P>i do a 10GB database backup using the 'export to pipe and compress on
the fly'
<BR>method using gzip. See FAQ or mail me if you need syntax.
<BR>Your resulting file must be &lt; 2GB.

<P>Onother way is to backup to tape using something like /dev/rmt0 (AIX)
as
<BR>file-name. EXP asks for tape-capacity and will prompt for new tape.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>

<P>Hi Anton,

<P>I've read your posting and would like to try it out, cause I'm in a
similar situation.
<BR>Could you please explain what you mean by <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">'export
to pipe and compress on the fly'</FONT> ?

<P>Thanks in advance, Ciao Markus.
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------30C8E0414B29489FC5DD422B-- Received on Mon Nov 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST