Optimizer question in 7.3

From: Brett C <zgeist.diespammer_at_ee.net>
Date: 1997/10/30

Greetings -

We have a 7.3 server with the optimizer running in CHOOSE mode.

We have a query in which four tables are joined. Two of the tables have statistics and two do not. Via an explain plan, we were able to determine that the two tables with statistics were using their indexes while the two without statistics were not. We ensured that the WHERE clause explicitly defined the columns comprising the indexes.

The query ran horribly slow until we either changed the optimizer to run in RULES mode or placed a hint to use RULES mode on this query.

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen ?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Brett
zgeist.nospam_at_ee.net Received on Thu Oct 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CST