Re: Oracle on Linux - a recipe

From: Jan Andersen <root_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: 1997/10/28

Jim Smith wrote:

> I'm confused.
>
> With the exception of manually uncompressing the files, the instructions
> are the same as they would be for setting up oracle on any platform.

The difference seems to be that (at least on SCO) you use orainst to do theconfiguration, which of course is easy, but on the other hand you don't quite know what happens to your system.

> Are you saying that Oracle 7.3.3. for SCO (I assume you used SCO) will
> run on Linux straight out of the box? Don't you have to do terrible
> things to Linux before it will run? Surely it can't be that easy?
>
> --
> Jim Smith

Yes - and no :-) I have done nothing magical to Linux, except installing the iBCS package (oops - mental note: include this in ...) and 'pouring' Oracle into my Linux.

/jan

- while you're here, why not take a look
at a href="http://www.image.dk/~jan_p_a

If you want to reply to me, my electronic
address is ndjan and the server part of it
is nord-data-detail.dk. Or you can use
jan_p_a with server part = image.dk

This rather 'circumvented' explanation is
meant to avoid automatic spammers that
browse the news groups. I hope it works