Re: Oracle on Linux - a recipe

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/10/27

In article <34547631.E944679A_at_127.0.0.1>, Jan Andersen <root_at_127.0.0.1> writes
>Installing Oracle 7.3.3 on Linux 2.0.29
>
>This text has - as all 'howtoids' - grown from just a couple of notes about
>how to get around some troubles. Despite the name of the file, it isn't
>quite a HOWTO; anyway - it does give a crude description of what one should
>do to install Oracle 7.3.x - the Workgroup Server or the Enterprise Server.
>It is (pt.) the policy of Oracle Corp. to give test licenses of their server
>SW quite liberally. As a matter of fact you can even download it from
>http://www.oracle.com - their home page is well worth looking at.
>
>As I stated above, this is just a crude cook book description. It doesn't
>tell you how to use Oracle when it's installed - maybe I, or someone else
>will include this later. Oracle's own documentation is quite huge, to say
>the least, but it's thorough, and now you get it as a set of HTML pages -
>there even is a java based search engine in it - very useful feature.

I'm confused.

With the exception of manually uncompressing the files, the instructions are the same as they would be for setting up oracle on any platform.

Are you saying that Oracle 7.3.3. for SCO (I assume you used SCO) will run on Linux straight out of the box? Don't you have to do terrible things to Linux before it will run? Surely it can't be that easy?

--
Jim Smith