Re: Switching between instances

From: Bill Manry <B.Manry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/10/28

Gertjan Stil (stil_at_nlr.nl) wrote:
>I am working on an application that has two 'databases', one for real
>and one to do exercises. The databases have the same structure and
>will be accessed by the same client application. I intend to make two
>instances on a parallel server.
>I need some information whether it is possible to disconnect from
>one instance and connect to the other one without stopping my client
>application. I am running Oracle7.3 on Windows NT4.

Oracle supports this in both precompiler and OCI programs except for certain special environments (some TP monitors, for instance). If you are using something besides Pro* or OCI for your application development, it depends on the product.

It's not clear what this has to do with Parallel Server, which is multiple instances accessing the _same_ database. Since you want to access different data with the two connections there appears to be no requirement for Parallel Server.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  IBM Products Division  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.