Re: uRgEnT - How to get the size of an export file before really doing it.

From: Jan Andersen <root_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: 1997/10/27

terryg8 wrote:

> Jorge Meirim wrote:
> >
> > 1.How do I get the size (more or less) of an export file before actually
> > doing it.
> > I dont have DBA permissions, and I need to know if I have enough disk space
> > on
> > 24 Unix machines before export their databases.
> > This is quite urgent.
> >
> > 2. In wich tablespace is kept the triggers and packages and
> > procedures/functions.
> >
> > Please reply to
> >
> > Transparente_at_mail.telepac.pt
> Heres a guess,
>
> Create a pipe and export to the pipe instead of
> a file.
> Run a background job taking the input for wc -c
> from the pipe.
>
> I'm assuming wc -c counts characters. I don't
> have access to a unix box right now to test any of
> this.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Terry

If my memory doesn't deceive me, there are some views in the data disctionary that tell about it. Look in the server admin. manuals for a chapter about the data dictionary - there are some good descriptions of the data dictionary views. Any way - that's where I'd look for this kind of info, but I don't have my Oracle before me :-)

/jan

- while you're here, why not take a look
at a href="http://www.image.dk/~jan_p_a

If you want to reply to me, my electronic
address is ndjan and the server part of it
is nord-data-detail.dk. Or you can use
jan_p_a with server part = image.dk

This rather 'circumvented' explanation is
meant to avoid automatic spammers that
browse the news groups. I hope it works