Re: Backup software on DEC Alpha

From: Thomas Vanya <twvanya_at_nospameastman.com>
Date: 1997/10/23

Graham Thornton <dangermouse_at_prodigy.nospam.net> wrote in article <62mt0g$rc0$27_at_195.26.68.19>...
> Joey,
>
> We have a very similar installation to yours, and we are in the process
 of
> desinging our backup strategy.
>
> Basically, we need 24x7 availability, so every night a DCL script is run
> place the Oracle tablespaces into backup mode. Then the OpenVMS backup
> utility software is used to archive the files to tape. After they files
> have been archived, another DCL script is used to place the tablespaces
> back in regular mode.

(snip)

Remember to use caution if placing ALL tablespaces in backup mode at the same time.
This will possibly generate a tremendous amount of redo log entries as the amount of information written to the redo logs is greater while tablespaces are in backup mode than when not.
The recommended approach is to place the tablespace in backup mode, backup the tablespace, and then take tablespace out of backup mode. I realize this is not convenient in a VMS environment as you probably are taking all tablespaces to a single saveset via one VMS BACKUP command.

--
Thomas W. Vanya
Oracle and OracleRdb Database Administrator