Re: Recovery Question

From: Greg Parsons <parsons_at_intermetrics.com>
Date: 1997/10/23

John Steinbach wrote:

> In the Backup & recovery class that Oracle offers we were taught to
> recover a single (deleted) table by :
>
> 1. Backing up current database.
> 2. Taking the current database off-line.
> 3. Restore from a backup.
> 4. Recover to point before deletion.
> 5. Export table in question.
> 6. Reinstate current database.
> 7. Import table in question.
>
> Obviously we can't take the production database down to recover a single
> table.
> Do you guys use a different instance to restore/recover to or what???
>
> John Steinbach

  Another manner - same idea. Restore the table into a test instance, then bring up two cursors by opening the 'live' and 'test' files within SQL*Talk. Copy from 'test' cursors' table to 'live' cursors table. Works well on relatively inactive tables. We also do exports from 'live' each day to 'test' - so inactive tables on each instance look alike.

Greg Parsons parsons_at_inmet.com Received on Thu Oct 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT