Re: Oracle on NT issues

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 1997/10/22

In article <877470967.30276_at_dejanews.com>, <shailesh.doshi_at_wcom.com> wrote:
>We were told that Oracle is the most popular DBMS on NT in the
>middle/large database segment!! Any comments ;-)??!!

I'm not sure--don't know if anyone really knows. Oracle delayed slightly getting in to the NT market hoping that the platform would not pan out as an enterprise-class O/S, and that did give some of the others a chance to soak up some market share. I would assume that Oracle is less dominant on NT than it is in other areas, and I would imagine that Sybase and DB2 each have significant market share. MS SQL-Server might not count in the "medium/large" definition (obviously dependent on your definition of "medium"), but it is quite strong in the smaller database range and seems to be gaining.

Oracle is certainly gaining some headway in the NT market, the newer clustering products should provide additional momentum, and its hard to see how anyone could go wrong with Oracle on NT at this time.

>1) What is OFA complient directory structure on NT box

I wonder whether this is as important on NT as it is for Unix. Does NT allow for disk configuration (or raw devices) which provide most of the rationale for OFA?

>2) What could be a good backup strategy?

You should pick up some of the third party Oracle data administration books. There are too many different strategies which fit the many different circumstances to make for a sensible discussion here.

>3) Is Oracle less stable on NT compared to UNIX

Well, NT is certainly less stable. If you really care about this, you should probably think more about Unix.

>4) What are the differences with Oracle on NT v/s on UNIX
> Things like 4 UNIX processes v/s single Service on NT

Too general a question for me. I'm not sure what you're getting at anyway. Although there is only one entry in services on NT, I think you'll find several more processes going (db writer, log writer, etc). I think that stuff is actually fairly similar.

Good luck.

--
Jack F. Love