Re: Some Oracle8 Questions

From: Robert Cordingley <cord_at_ragesoft.NOSPAMMERZ.com>
Date: 1997/10/03

Mildly tangental to Greg's question:

I've experienced problems with the sql*plus describe command in Oracle8. Specifically, when I try to describe *ANY* V$ table, Oracle8 claims it doesn't exist. If I describe sys.v$_session it works, but describing v$session fails. Is this a bug or a misfeature? I've checked it out, and it's endemic to public synonyms...even if you're the owner of the base table. I've been to lazy to try using OCI or dbms_sql to describe a public synonym, but I hope like hell it's just sql*plus that's broken.

Robert

PS: I haven't ruled out the possibility of a hosed up install either.