Re: How can I combine two datafile into one?

From: Charles Wolfe <cwolfe_at_popd.ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/09/27

Ken,

What you propose sounds great, except for two things:

An export of the objects in the SYSTEM tablespace (export doesn't provide a TABLESPACE option) would contain all the data dictionary tables -- including the current tablespace and datafile definitions, which would be recreated on import, thus defeating your purpose.

For any tablespace other than the SYSTEM tablespace, what you propose would be completely appropriate...as long as the tablespace doesn't contain any online rollback segments or temporary segments.

Hope this sheds some light.

regards,
Chuck

Ken Nichols wrote:

> Jizhong,
>
> The slow-but-sure way is to export the objects in the SYSTEM tablespace,
> drop and recreate the tablespace, then import the objects.
>
> If there's another way, I would like to hear about it from some of the
> advanced DBAs out there.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Ken
>
> Dr. J. Wang wrote:
> >
> > Our previous DBA used two datafiles for SYSTEM tablespace (say datafile1 20M,
> > 5 M used and datafile2 50M, 2 M used). It seems odd to me since I think one is
> > easier to manage and should be more efficient. Anyway, how can I combine them
> > into only one file?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jizhong

*
*   Chuck Wolfe
*   Oracle DBA
*   The Ryland Group
*
*   cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com
*
*   All the usual discalimers apply, except where otherwise indicated...