Re: Temporary tables in Oracle

From: Stephen Darlington <DarlingS_at_Logica.Com.NoSpam>
Date: 1997/09/25

Looks like no-one else here has used Informix...

For the uninitiated, in Informix you can do things like

SELECT f1, f2, f3
INTO TEMP a
FROM b;

which creates a table with fields f1, f2 and f3. The clever bit is that the table vanishes when the session terminates (or was it the transaction?), and my 'a' doesn't interfere with your 'a'. This can be *very* neat for complex queries.

Unfortunately -- sorry Mahesh -- I don't think Oracle has this feature. You'll either have to use nasty, nested queries or structure it using a cursor or similar. Or go back to Informix :)

--> Steve

      Stephen Darlington (public.logica.com/~darlings/)
     "Every word's a gem. It's just the order they're in that worries me"
    Don't believe a single word I say -- these are my words, not Logica's

Mahesh Patel <mpatel_at_dbna.com> wrote in article <342909DF.55A3_at_dbna.com>...