Re: Temporary tables in Oracle

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1997/09/26

Stephen Darlington wrote:

> Looks like no-one else here has used Informix...
>
> For the uninitiated, in Informix you can do things like
>
> SELECT f1, f2, f3
> INTO TEMP a
> FROM b;
>
> which creates a table with fields f1, f2 and f3. The clever bit is that the
> table vanishes when the session terminates (or was it the transaction?),
> and my 'a' doesn't interfere with your 'a'. This can be *very* neat for
> complex queries.
>
> Unfortunately -- sorry Mahesh -- I don't think Oracle has this feature.
> You'll either have to use nasty, nested queries or structure it using a
> cursor or similar. Or go back to Informix :)

snip

But then he could create temporary tables the same way he did in Informix and then explicitly delete them when he was through with them. I agree it isn't as neat a solution as Informix has, but adding "DROP TABLE temp;" at the appropriate time and place doesn't strike me as being too much of a hardship :-)

Jerry Received on Fri Sep 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT