Re: MULTIPLE INSTANCES

From: Nathan D. Hughes <nhughes_at_well.com>
Date: 1997/09/20

>> Can we have more than one instance for the same database on a single
>> server machine and what benefit we will get ?

You can, but the potential to mess stuff up seems pretty large. Only one instance could mount the db, obviously - but I've had some pretty bad db corruption (on NT granted) by trying to mount an already open db with another instance (accidentally).

But, yes - this is somethign good to do when you run your db during the day as an OLTP system, and at night run your batch jobs. You can adjust your memory allocs etc. for the purpose you need it for. Just make sure you bulletproof your startup/shutdowns.

--

---
Nathan D. Hughes <nhughes_at_well.com>