Re: MULTIPLE INSTANCES

From: Chakravarthy KM Nalamotu <kittu_at_Hawaii.Edu>
Date: 1997/09/22

Do NOT even think of bringing up two instances to access the same database.
If you have to, use Oracle's Parallel Server Option.

Nathan D. Hughes (nhughes_at_well.com) wrote:
: >> Can we have more than one instance for the same database on a single
: >> server machine and what benefit we will get ?

: You can, but the potential to mess stuff up seems pretty large. Only
: one instance could mount the db, obviously - but I've had some
: pretty bad db corruption (on NT granted) by trying to mount an
: already open db with another instance (accidentally).

: But, yes - this is somethign good to do when you run your db during the
: day as an OLTP system, and at night run your batch jobs. You can adjust
: your memory allocs etc. for the purpose you need it for. Just make sure
: you bulletproof your startup/shutdowns.
: --

: ---
: Nathan D. Hughes <nhughes_at_well.com>
: Computer Consultants of America, Inc.