Three-tier Architecture

From: Ceferino L. Rivera Jr. <clrivera_at_deltanet.com>
Date: 1997/09/10

I am trying to come up with a client/server architecture that is very thin on the client side. Based on the research that I have done, a three-tier configuration should work. The first tier is the users machine that is used to access the application. The second-tier is an application server (where the application resides) and the third tier is the Oracle database server. Based on this configuration, I will not be installing anything on the users windows 95 machine. I will have a Windows NT machine with Developer/2000 server (32 concurrent users) and the Oracle server residing in my big Unix machine talking through SQl*Net.

Is there anyone out there that has implemented three-tier configuration that can comment on my proposed architecture?

Is this the best? What about performance compared to two-tier? I know it's not the cheapest but it helps in maintenance support since you only have to install one copy of the application in the application server NT machine (as compared to 32 installs on 32 users machine using two-tier).

Anyone with three-tier experience, please reply. Thanks in advance. Received on Wed Sep 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT