Oracle8 Backup & Recovery - slow..

From: Jaime Ornelas <jaime_at_cruzio.com>
Date: 1997/09/09

I've been testing Oracle8 recovery manager. On a standalone Ultra Sparc II with 5 SCSI channels, I cannot get more than around 5Mb/s throughput (per disk) on both backup and recovery.

Simply using the UNIX dd utility I can get close to 9 Mb/s, which is close to the
limit of my disk. I'm backing up from disk to disk, both on separate SCSI channels.

I can't test tape backup right now since I would need to buy a third-party plug-in.

Anybody have a clue what I need to do to get my througput rates up? I tried:

  1. Increasing the read rate limit using the Recovery Manager command.
  2. Increasing the MULTI_IO_COUNT (sp?), the read ahead parameter.
  3. The Oracle Recovery Manager Guide also suggest increasing another Recovery Manager specific read-ahead parameter, but the Server did not recognize it on start up.
  4. I haven't tried increasing the SGA since I can't imagine Oracle using the SGA for staging sequential reads.

None of the above had any effect.

You can contact me directly for more details at jaime_at_cruzio.com

Thanks Received on Tue Sep 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT