Re: ORA-00604 error occured at recursive SQL Level 1

From: Tomm Carr <carr%tw_at_edwards.af.mil>
Date: 1997/09/03

Brian Drust wrote:

> I hope someone can shed a little light on the following error
> message ORA-00604 error occurred at recursive SQL Level 1 ORA-01000
> Maximum open cursors exceeded.
>
> This seems pretty straight forward but I can not figure it out. When I
> look up the ORA-00604 it tells the next error on the stack can't be
> resolved then call tech support. Ya that really helps allot. Maybe
> that is part of my problem. The maximum number of cursors open seems
> easy. The only thing the code contains no explicit cursors only
> straight SELECTS, INSERTS, and UPDATES. This error always seems to
> happen in the same place also. The program is written in ProC.

There is an Oracle setting that removes closed cursors from the pool. Perhaps a DBA type can guide you there. In the meantime, try using explicit cursors that you can (explicitly) close before recursing. If that doesn't help, you can always change the recursive structure to a loop and reuse the same cursor. Looping isn't as "elegant" as recursion, but it's a small price to pay if it fixes the problem!

--
Tomm Carr
tommcatt@computer.org -- http://www.geocities.com/athens/delphi/6769