Re: A performance question: Unix v/s NT

From: Richard Hoffbeck <rwh_at_visi.com>
Date: 1997/08/27

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.server and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <33ff416a.4590027_at_news.dvol.com>, chuckh_at_dvol.com says...
> "Helmut Hahn" <helmut.hahn_at_bitoek.uni-bayreuth.de> wrote:
>
> >Hallo,
> >
> >we have a 4GB DB on NT4.0 and had no crashes or other downtime because of
> >NT. All works fine and fast. I ported the DB from VMS to NT. We had some
> >people saying 'You will see whats going on if you do that!'. They were
> >right: I see that all is going fine.
> >
> >Helmut
>
> Does NT have a scripting language along the lines of the unix shells?
> I don't know how I'd be able to run my DB without it.

MKS Toolkit has a good copy of ksh and there is a good version of ksh from David Korn floating around. I've seen a so-so copy of bash for NT, and of course Hamilton C-Shell is available if you are a c-shell fan.

--rick

| Richard Hoffbeck <rwh_at_visi.com>             phone: 612.897.6442 |
| Mn Worker's Compensation Insurer's Assoc    fax:   612.897.6495 |
| 7760 France Ave, Suite 640                                      |
| Minneapolis, MN 55435                                           |
| Finger rwh_at_visi.com for PGP key :                               |
|  Fingerprint = 1C DD 13 FB 11 1D E7 73 2F A1 9B 52 86 0F A2 2B  |